Saturday, August 12, 2006

Hurtigruten - MS Trollfjord - Day 9

Today is the 9th day and there has been so much to see every single day that I feel that my mind has just finished an 8 course meal. On this day I felt unable to take much more in.

There was one place that I wanted to be on the look-out for today, a place that I didn’t remember on our way north, not until it was too late anyway.

On June 18th in 2002 an Icelandic trawler went down just south of Lofoten. No one died and that is the most important thing. But there was much written and said about this accident and it even made the courts in Norway. I will not go through the details, but things happened that neither the Norwegians nor the Icelanders can be proud of. The fact that I mention this and wanted to see if I could get a shot of the place is that the trawler and I have the same name. Google my name and you get really many Norwegian hits.

She went down in Nappstraumen south of Lofoten, out there in the distance. We were there just after 10 pm.

The crew on MS Trollfjord knew of the case and said it was not an easy place to navigate as the nautical maps of the area are not too good.

No comments: