Friday, July 28, 2006

Hurtigruten - MS Trollfjord - Day 3

On th 3rd day we arrived in Trondheim just after 8 in the morning and were joined by three more family members - and now all 12 were here at last.
As we would be stopping in Trondheim for 4 hours, we all went for a stroll. Trondheim was Norway’s capital once and was actually called Nidaros. Nidar is the river that flows through this beautiful city and into the
North-Atlantic. Most of the houses in Trondheim are built from wood and I managed to capture many of the older houses standing on the old Bybrua (Town Bridge) in this photograph - the river Nidar between the rows of colourful buildings.

In the afternoon, sitting in the Panorama room, the captain blew the horn. Curiosity got the better of me; I grabbed my camera and ran out on deck. Hmmm. Could not see anything special except for this little boat here were a woman was waving the Norwegian flag. I thought I might as well take a shot or two, but almost deleted them when I loaded the day’s catch into the laptop that evening.

Late in the evening we were heading towards a "holey" place in absolutely beautiful weather. We are getting closer and closer to the Arctic Circle so the nights are lovely and light. You can see it there, the mountain a little to the left of the center.

I was in merry company out on deck, among others some Aussies that were really having a good time.

We got there, the mountain is called Torghatten, and it is one of Norway's spectacular places - this hole is 112 meters over sea-level - it is 25-30 meters high and 12-15 meters wide - and the picture is taken just after midnight. We passed it again on our way south, and I took a picture then too, in daylight. The captain blew the horn once we were there and that horn never seizes to amaze me - so powerful.

Oh, I wished I didn’t have to sleep; I just want to see it all.

No comments: