Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Hurtigruten - MS Trollfjord - Day 1

As I think I have said earlier, we were all invited by Gunnild who wanted to celebrate her 80th birthday with her spouse, with her children and their significant others and the two grandchildren of course.
We started out from Copenhagen in the early afternoon and flew to Oslo and from there to Bergen. We were a bit stressed in Oslo as we were late out of Copenhagen due to loading problems and had to fetch our luggage once we got to Oslo. Strange, as we were taking a domestic flight from the very same airport. Well, we had to take our luggage through customs and check in again. We had just under an hour to get this done and when there is a passenger in a wheelchair, you are asked to come to the gate early. Well, we managed it all and soon we were in the air again.
I had already contacted a taxi company in Bergen and ordered a big taxi for all of us, the baggage and room for a wheelchair. I got a confirmation both via telephone and email and thought everything would be fine. But there was no taxi. I walked around the parking lot and saw a big taxi from the same company. No, he was not the one. No, he was not busy. Yes, he could drive us to the ship. He just had to check with the switchboard. We had enough time, but I was disappointed the deal didn't hold. When I ordered that taxi, I had also ordered a taxi for July 7th. This guy Arild was so nice and helpful so we made a new deal with with him as he was going to be working that day and would be glad to give us an hours sightseeing in Bergen on our way to the airport. He said he would clear it with the company, and that he did.
Check-in was smooth and suddenly we were on the ship and it all seemed real now :)
We left Bergen at 8pm, Monday June 26th. The weather was fabulous as you can see, and as we are already a bit far north (60°22'N), there is still daylight.
That first night we got the general idea of how we might not fit into our clothes at the end of the trip. The food was amazing and stayed that way. Breakfast and then hopefully one meal a day is what I am used to. "Hopefully" because I tend to forget or just make sandwiches. Two meals are what I get when I am in Iceland, visiting family and friends and having lunch and dinner every day. Well. I tried for two days, holding back that is, and then I just gave up. I would eat my usual breakfast and come lunch and dinner, I would just go with the flow. Here you have a group photo that first night. We will probably gain weight and be bigger in that way, but we will also grow bigger in the sense that three more are joining us in Trondheim, two days from now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just to say, how lovely.

Ellen