Thursday, July 27, 2006

Hurtigruten - MS Trollfjord - Day 2

I was so tired after long day that I was not able to sleep for very long. The bed was not very good either, so I just got up just after four in the morning. Took my camera with me and went for a stroll. I had not inspected all the decks the night before and could do that now, or at least some of it. There were nine decks in all, our cabin were on deck 6.

Went and got myself a cup of coffee and then up to deck 8, the panorama room. We were in a little place called Måløy and I saw that someone got off the ship and a few new passengers got on board. The Hurtigruten ships are also used to get between towns on the coast. Richard With who started this adventure over 100 years ago wanted to do just that, make it possible for the Norwegians travel between towns in a relatively fast manner. Those fjords were not easy to get around as there were no roads in some of them. And in Måløy we met another sister ship, MS Kong Harald. There was no blowing of horns, as it was in the middle of the night and all but a few passengers were fast asleep.
The weather was so lovely the night before and the clouds that were there when I woke up started to scatter, little by little.
When we came to a small village called Torvik it was 7:30 and now the other passengers were up and running, some literally running - there was a marathon group that met on deck 6 every morning at 7am. If you wanted to run 1 kilometre, that was 4 rounds. I spent a lot of time out on deck 6 during the trip, but I didn't run, just walked a lot, taking pictures. This one is from that morning. I wish I could put into words how the light is, the colours - but I can't. Hopefully the pictures depict what I would like to be able to describe.
First breakfast on the ship and I found out that they of course had the Norwegian brown cheese that I love so much, and my breakfast every morning was two slices of delicious newly baked bread with cheese, yoghurt, orange juice and tea.
Just before 9 that morning we came to Ålesund - a beautiful town that burned more or less to the ground in 1904 and was rebuilt in Jugend style.
That afternoon we sailed all the way in Geirangerfjorden, breathtaking. These waterfalls were there, on each side of the fjord. The Seven Sisters on the left and The Suitor on the right. He is said to have proposed to all of them and got seven no’s all in all. After that, he took to the bottle.

You might see that The Suitor is divided and you can see a bottle there in the middle. We sailed all the way in and there some of the passengers were met by a little boat that took them ashore and they continued on a bus trip and met the ship in another town later that evening. The crew took the opportunity to take one of the rescue boats for a spin, testing the gear, probably trying to make sure that they know the drill, no matter what. Those boats can put in the water in a jiffy, should anyone fall overboard.
Everything ran smoothly on board and the crew was a
lways ready and able to help out, and always with a friendly smile.

No comments: