Sunday, March 12, 2006

Colour My World

For the last month, I have been trying to learn a bit more about my camera, about taking pictures and about the photosoftware I have in my computer. Always the same story in any learning process - you realize how much it is you have yet to learn, how much knowledge there is yet to aquire.
I have submitted a few pictures on
dpchallenge.com and on ljosmyndakeppni.is and have learned a whole lot from that. The dotcom site is bigger and more points of view from users, but I actually like the Icelandic site more. Probably because the users there are more polite, never condescending or uptight. Really helpful people, quite a few excellent photographers and last but not least - a nice tone.
Yesterday, DPC had a 24 hour challenge, and I made an entry with some feathers and a pair of black shoes. I took this one too, but decided to enter the other one. It is doing ok, the first time I have scored over 5, but there are many voting days left, anything can happen. My aim is to do a little bit better every time I participate.
It is a challenge to take a picture and keep to the theme. Alas, many participants there do not seem to think that is important. We all vote on the pictures (not your own picture though) and that is a challenge in itself. I have worked up my own routine now, and when a picture is far from the theme of the challenge, I pass or only give 4 or 5. It is not that hard to take a good picture, if you can take a picture of just about anything, it is much harder if you have to stick to a theme.

It was freezing cold yesterday, a real brrrrrrrrr-day, especially at the seaside. A beautiful day and the windmills must have produced a lot of energy - strong winds blowing. I have never been within 2 meters of one, not until yesterday. They are huge, real monsters and that swiiiisshhh sound is actually quite loud when you are standing under those monstrous blades. I do like the thought of all the energy they accumulate, so to speak. Not much pollution there, no fallout. By the way, standing there, you can see the power plant Barsebäck in Sweden, now closed. It was arrogant of the Swedes to build a nuclear power plant so close to Copenhagen. The Danes didn't get a say in the matter back then and not sorry when it closed down not so long ago.

No comments: